Friday 19 November 2010

Alicia Rose 19/11/09 - 25/11/09

{Please scroll down for my Farm Fresh Friday post}


I made this card for a gorgeous friend of mine, Kaz and her hubby, Dave... I have not met her but we chat often on facebook and she has been a great support to me in the past year with the rollercoaster journey of IVF etc... Some of the friends I made through the IVF friends forum have become wonderful friends and I am so thankful for their love and support. I want to share with you some of their story... and help to raise some awareness of CDH* (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia)

This beautiful couple had been trying to conceive for a number of years and when they tried IVF it was successful and they were blessed with a gorgeous baby daughter - Alicia Rose.
Sadly this little princess was diagnosed with CDH and born prematurely ... "Alicia suffered the more severe case of CDH. Her left side wasn't attached to her ribs at all, she had a large gaping hole, causing her vital organs to leak through. Thus causing problems her lungs couldn't grow properly. She had one decentish lung and one smaller lung. She was battling it hard with that and prematurity diseases too"... Devastatingly Alicia was taken from this earth but lives on in the hearts and minds of family and friends.. she has touched the hearts of many!!

Today was Alicia's first "angel-versary" and a day to celebrate her life - remembering and giving thanks for her. I know it's been a hard day for her parents and my heart and prayers have been with them. Please remember Kaz and Dave (and other children and families affected by CDH) in your thoughts and prayers too!!

*"Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH) occurs in approximately 1 in every 2,500 births (1,600 cases in the U.S. each year). The cause of CDH is not yet known. The diaphragm is formed in the first trimester of pregnancy and controls the lungs' ability to inhale and exhale. CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to form or to close totally and an opening allows abdominal organs into the chest cavity. This inhibits lung growth. 1 in 2500 babies is diagnosed with CDH. With a 50% survival rate, 800 of those babies will die.Today, and every day, at least 4 families will be devastated with the news of CDH".
WEBSITE - CHERUBS




-Quotes are from Kaz's facebook site in honour of Alicia!

5 comments:

  1. What a touching story and a beautiful card Sammi.

    My niece had the same condition and died soon after birth.

    My thoughts are with your friends Kaz and Dave.

    I love the term Angel-versary.

    Michelle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect card for the Angel-versary and such a moving story. I will certainly add this couple and others like them to my thoughts and prayers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sad story... I hadn't heard of this before....it's a hard road they've had to travel so far... I hope the future will bless them with happiness.
    Another gorgeous card you've created for a very special occasion :)
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh...my heart goes out to her parents...so sad. Lovely card - I am sure it meant so much to them.
    Alicia xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sammi,

    This story about your friends baby is very touching. I have been a Labor and Deliver/ Post Partum and Recovery Nurse for years (well I was I stay home with the kids now) and it is just so sad when these situations come about a sweet couple who wants a baby so badly and then just to be taken away so quickly!!!

    I am sorry for their loss and I will say a prayer for them!! I am also sorry to hear of your struggles too I hope things happen for you in some way soon. God has a plan for everything but it is so hard to see that when our heart desires something we want right now!!!

    Thank you for sharing the story of this little miracle who is with her heavenly father now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me some love - I love to read your comments and to come and see your blogs too!
xxx